Started the journey 4 months ago. Few hours a day. Study materials that I used not necessary in right order:
1) PMBOK – I went through this book 3 times, not necessary every page and every concept, but touched what I thought was important
2) Rita’s book 2 times more through than PMBOK
3) Took all Rita’s test in the book and CD. The questions are pretty close to those on exams
4) Took a few freebies from the web
5) Cheat sheets and brain dump that I had created from my studying
Took a few tests like a month before the exams. NEVER did I takeentire 200 question test in one sitting.
ON the day of exam:
Arrived at the place 45 minutes early and was asked to take the examsright away. Had to empty out the pockets etc and leave everything inthe locker.
– Took 15 minutes of the tutorial time to do my brain dump on sheets. All the formulas, important Risk, Procurement and Quality points.- Took another 15 of the test time to continue with braindump…..wanted to write important ITTOs for the process which I felt was important.- Is definitely tougher than I thought.
Questions are not wordy or long like some of the Rita’s question. But nevertheless lot of right answers to questions.
Took a break at 100th question- Could not access locker for a snack which I thought was weird- Continued the test. Made sure I answered ALL the questions – rightor wrong. But read the question and answered to the best of my abilityand MARKED the unsure ones- Completed the test in 3 hours, and revisited the MARKED questions. Ihad 50 marked.- Took another 30 minutes to go through them again. Not sure but seemsit is more confusing to do the second go around. Wish PMP had 2 scoresone earlier and second after I made the changes would love to know ifmy thought process the second time around was any better-
Completed the test and clicked FINISH. At this point I felt I was right about at the 60% mark.-
Test asked for a survey. REALLY! Are you kidding me!!!! I skipped itand was waiting for the the test to score me- PHEW………PASSED
Lessons Learned:- Read the PMBOK- Read 1 more book…I read Rita’s which was pretty good but sometopics she really is carried away with her own thought process bitsure if PMP needs that- I would NOT recommend doing all the freebies out there. They are good to revise what you have done but exam questions are totallydifferent- You will NEVER be ready for the exam. Just create your brain dumpand go with it.- Relax and take the exams……stretch, take a break, look outsidethe window, change positions…….control the exams.
I never had asituation where I was thinking about prior questions. Answer it and move on.- Some questions are outright…..what the HECK? Answer, mark and moveon.- Concentrate on materials you have ignore the million sites withmillion suggestions- Did not take a test during the last week at all- Night before stopped studying around afternoon, have a glass ofwine, movie, relax- I would check the forums on and off but never got too carried as everyone’s experience is different.
Believe in yourself and you shall pass.