The answer may surprise you!
And it can be a HUGE make or break personal decision (assuming you know what your strengths and weaknesses are)!
When considering training…or project work…or other developmental areas in which to place your efforts…
I think there really is a clear answer…
It stands to reason that you should focus on your strengths as much attention as possible.
And here’s why:
If you find yourself needing to concentrate on your weaknesses, you risk not being able to leverage your strengths (which puts you in a tenuous position indeed)!
Here’s an example:
My project management strengths include:
- Putting together a strong plan
- Developing and documenting a strong vision
- Gaining buy-in among stakeholders
- “Shaking things loose” and getting things moving on projects
And my biggest weakness is administration!
This can potentially be a problem for me in managing projects, and here are two key reasons why:
- Detailed documentation is a critical aspect of project management.
- Strong administration skills demonstrate good organization.
What’s the significance of this?
I ask myself, “Does this hurt or hinder me and my performance?”
The answer depends on how I approach situations…
Here’s my approach:
- Spend the most time on areas of strength – where I can make the greatest contribution.
- Spend ‘enough’ time on weak areas so they do not overshadow my strengths.
- Find alternative ways (i.e. delegation) to handle responsibilities in weak areas.
- Gravitate toward projects that leverage my strengths…and away from those that do not.
In summary, I make sure that I don’t allow administrative issues to hold me back from doing some extra planning, communicating with stakeholders, and working on the edge to “shake things loose” and move projects forward. And I make sure I do “enough” administrative work to fulfill requirements…and find another way to get them done if that’s not sufficient.
You can do the same for your own situation, no matter what your strength-weakness profile is.
John Reiling, PMP
Project Management Training Online